Ta-Da!! I made my first pattern and here is the finished sample which will be on the pattern as the example of the finished quilt. I enlarged my postcard lady to an easier size to work with. It is a "beginner" level pattern to get people started who may think this is rocket science!! There are only 4 applique pieces and the eyes/lips-the eye brows could be drawn in instead of appliqued. The eyes are drawn in and thread painting and a few embellishments give the quilt its zing!! I added a few borders which are optional or do a different border. I am not rigid and say" it's my way or no way"-I prefer to inspire people to just start and add to the piece as they like it. The finished size is 18" x 18" and I have two optional hair style appliques. I will charge $8.00 for the pattern. So is anyone interested in making a small portrait quilt?? If so, let me know and I will mail you one!! This pattern is called "Angelica" for two reasons-I am going to name them like real people and I thought I'd start with an "A" name and I want to do names of flowers since it's gardening related!!! Give me feedback!!
This Quilt called "Earth Mother" is the quilt I made for my local quilt guild, Northwoods Quilters, quilt challenge. There were three challenge fabrics-the gold crackle I have in the background, the small print with the cream background, which I also have in the background, and the dark green batik which I used for my applique. I stared at these fabrics through the summer of last year and made a Mr. Yucky face since all I could see was the green/gold of the Green Bay Packers. I love the Packers but already have a football themed quilt. Then in the fall of 2010 I found a new line of fabric at Quilters Haven in Menominee, MI where I live. It seemed to go with the challenge fabric because it had fun florals in various scales and an interesting stripe. I had a renewed interest in this project!! I decided to go with a mother nature style figure as my raw edged fused applique. I have normally used black or dark brown for the applique but I figured why couldn't I use the nice rich green batik. The pattern I used for the woman's face was one I adapted from another pattern I had made-I changed the pattern by giving this woman long hair, a dress, a necklace and leaves in her hair. I began with a Ricky Timms Comvergence style pieced background using two of the challenge fabrics. I prefer to off center the figure because it is more aestetically appealing. I embellishished with silk flowers and leaves, leaf shaped buttons, rhinestones, a wooden button and felt flowers with glitter. I had a blast with this project and feel it is "earthy" with the greens and browns and it has a calming affect on me. I won 2nd place in the local guild judging of the challenge quilts and all of these quilts will be included in our upcoming quilt show April 30-May 1, 2011 at St, Thomas Aquinas High School, Marinette, WI