Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Art Garage Project

In Green Bay, WI there is a very cool art gallery/coop and I receive their weekly e-mails. They are having a "Art Meets Heart Mosoaic Project" in which up to 300 artists can receive a 6 x 6 canvas to do what ever they want on the front of the canvas. The mini canvases are then put together in one picture and displayed at the gallery. Each piece will be auctioned off in February 2011. They chose the heart theme to go with heart health month and Valentines Day and I chose a heart theme in the silhouette of the women's hair and her heart-shaped face. I painted the canvas black then glued paper neck and face pieces to the canvas and fused a piece of fabric for the hair and lips. I drew the facial feature details with Sharpie pens, colored pencils and Smooch paint on the eyelids. I can't go without glitter so the hair has two types of glitter nail polish, and the lips have a pink nail polish and the dots above the eyebrows are glitter glue and loose glitter. I finished with white paint on the eyes and highlights to the face. I was nervous to make a mistake-if I am sewing and make a mistake I get out my seam ripper or just cut another piece of fabric. Am I a mixed media artist now??

3 comments:

  1. Laurie, she's great!!! Why yes you are a mixed media artist now! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurie,
    Is this a self portrait? I see you in her. You are definitely mixed media, you talk about using your smoochy paint and glitter a lot. Well done! Like your interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurie,
    I am in Wisconsin.. so hi neighbor.
    So nice to find another hair dresser, I dont work at it anylonger but surely appreciate what you do.
    I love your art work it is fun and interesting to me.. and to see your designs your girls are so cool
    Hugs, Darlene

    ReplyDelete