Wednesday, February 27, 2013

I'm Over Winter and Thinking About Spring, Pastels and Easter Colors

I am over Winter and it is snowing again even though the weatherman said our area would only get a "dusting" of snow. So I am inspired by the arrival of Spring and the colors associated with the season.
While working at Pine Street Quilts in Marinette WI, I discovered a pattern callled "Oh Sew Charming" in which you use any charm pack and a yard and 1/8 of a background fabric to make a wall hanging 33 1/2" x 33 1/2" with two border options to finish it off. I was not impressed with the photo on the pattern front because it was done up in the Kansas City Troubles type fabrics and I didn't bother looking any further. But the shop did a sample for a quilt kit and I was part of the construction process and I fell in love with the pattern.
I had a Moda Chez Moi Charm Pack in my stash and never used it and thought it would work out nicely for this pattern. I used a turquise blue as my background because it looked like robin eggs and spring.
I wanted to embellish the quilt with buttons but I had limited pastel buttons and I live where there is no Joann Fabrics, Hobby Lobby or Michaels. Walmart didn't have any and I was bummed because I wasn't able to drive out of town because of the wintery roads.
But I try to think outside the box and found these pastel bow barrettes at the Dollar Tree in the second photo! I cut the barette flap thingie off and stitched them to the quilt. Then yesterday Walmart got in the pastel button mixed bag and wa-la the quilt is completed this morning. I am staring outside at snow but thinking Spring!!
I plan to make another wall hanging with this pattern using my Moda Vintage Modern Charms. Can't find the right background fabric though so it is on hold until I can road trip to Green Bay or Appleton.

No comments:

Post a Comment