Sunday, January 10, 2010

Fabric Postcard Demo





My local quilt group, The Northwoods Quilters of Marniette WI and Menominee MI, will be having members demonstrating different techniques at its meeting tomorrow morning. I am showing how to do fabric postcards. I discovered this quilting project while on the internet. I signed up for a postcard exchange in 2008 through http://www.art2mail.com/. I made 24 postcards and mailed them all over the country and 2 to the UK and 2 to Australia. It was lots of fun receiving the huge variety of postcards from far away places. Also none of the 25 women knew each other but were willing to create individual quilted items for complete strangers.
The first photo has the drawing on graph paper of the design I plan to use. I make the pattern pieces and use fusible web to adhere them, Fast2Fuse for the inside stiffener, a front and back piece of fabric, Sharpie and Pigma pens to detail the image, varigated thread for the outside edge and free motion quilting and paint and glitter for bling!!

The second photo shows the different steps to completing a fabric postcard and an example of another colorway of the same design. These cards are fun and a quick way to complete a project. They can actually be mailed. The local post office will hand cancel the stamp and some post offices are more cooperative than others. I have also put the card in an envelope to mail. They make cute little pictures to stand on a shelf. I suppose a ribbon could be attached to hang the card.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Laurie,
    If or when you want to exchange a fabric postcard, I will be pretty ready. Once I joined to artmail group, a few yrs ago. Your demo theme above is quite inspiring and so lovely. I'd love to have one-swapped with you:)

    ReplyDelete