Tuesday, February 9, 2010

New Quilt

I have finished the quilt I have been showing on my blog. My goals were to work with a white background, instead of black my normal choice, and to create a portrait using a new technique. I usually layer fabric on top of each other to get the look of shading and highlighting. This time I went with a "mosaic" look. I wanted to use brights so I picked warm tones for the hair and cool tones for the face. I wanted the figure offcentered as well. This left me with a large white background area to fill because it wasn't balanced. I chose to do a thread painted figure behind the woman. I wanted it noticeable yet not to overpower the woman. I have done minimal embellishing because I think it doesn't need anymore. I probably will sew beads or french knots on the binding edge. When I showed the finished quilt to my boyfriend, who is an artist, he freaked out. "It doesn't look like your normal work!" He was confused by the modernness of the woman in the quilt. "It was way out there" and he didn't really like it as well as my other work. So that got me thinking about "is that what art does-provote emotions-good or bad?" I then chickened out of show and tell at my quilt guild meeting last evening. The women are traditional quilters for the most part and I wasn't sure if I was ready for the same reaction as my boyfriend. Maybe art can make people angry or sad not just happy.

5 comments:

  1. Laurie,
    I think your piece is stunning! and I'm sorry your quilting group didn't get to see it this month! You better take it next time! Adding the drawing is a wonderful addition to the piece. And yes! Art work is about getting responses...good, bad, indifferent! I think your boyfriend is just accustomed to your work but I bet this piece is or will grown on him. You need to keep this path going!! It's a great piece!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it! I can see differences from your "normal" work, but I also see similarities. I think if I had seen this elsewhere, I still would have said, "Oh, Laurie made that!"

    I can understand why you didn't bring it to the guild, just from what is the norm around here, but on the other hand, I think they would have appreciated it a lot more than you think! You need to give yourself more credit. You have a lot of talent.

    And I agree that art can evoke more than happy emotions for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. It is very different from the other work you have shown which could explain your boyfriend's reaction. I love what you did with the white background. I hope you continue to explore this style. You know the song "I like your old stuff better than your new stuff". I think all artists in any media face this when changing up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lynn,
    I find your work just downright AWESOME! Too bad you chickened out; should have taken her to the group! She is absolutely STUNNING!! STUNNING!!! As an artist, do you really want to get locked into a "look"...let the art take you where it will. YOU ROCK! I love the red/black/white quilt you posted to the BLACK/WHITE blog! FREAKING AWESOME!!!!
    sincerely with a whole bunch of hugzzzz
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this piece. It is absolutely incredible. You just keep right on with those inspirational works!

    ReplyDelete