Sunday, December 13, 2009

Stained Glass Stepping Stone


I like to share any worthy forms of art I enjoy, so today I am praising the stained glass steppping stones of my boyfriend Ken. He has been making stepping stones and garden benches for several years. This stone is a commissioned piece for a Christmas gift. The process is very maticulous from cutting the glass the correct size, grinding the glass edges, trying to get a curved looking line from a straight cut of glass and sticking all the small pieces to contact paper and flipping it in the mold. It is like a pineapple upsidedown cake not a mosaic piece where one works from the top and glues on pieces. If one piece of glass shifts then the there are flaws in the design. The cement process has several steps and then after 20-24 hours of drying time it can be flipped from the mold and grouted. It is so different that painting a picture or sewing a quilt. I'm so used to layering fabrics one on top on another and with stained glass in contrete it in a flat surface made to look dimentional. It has such a smooth surface when the stone is finished you can't help but touch it. I have several in my gardens in my yard and they are all original designs Ken created. You rock honey!!

2 comments:

  1. Very nice! Now we need to see his web site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken doesn't even know how to turn on the computer. He can't understand how I can spend so much time on it as I do.

    ReplyDelete