Thursday, July 22, 2010

Kelvin Motsinger Fundraiser Quilt


On May 29, 2010 a 9 year old boy named Kelvin Motsinger from Menominee, MI passed away from drowning at Red Arrow Park Beach in Marinette WI. I did not know Kelvin or his family as I  read about this story in the local newpaper. In early July I had the pleasure of meeting Kelvin's mother, Miranda, when she was a new guest at Pizazz Salon where I work. She spoke of Kelvin and the fundraiser that was to be held on Saturday, July 24, 2010 to defer the funeral costs. I have a soft spot for single mother since I raised Jordana on my own and I immediately said I would made a quilt for the silent auction. I asked Miranda what were Kelvin's favorite things and she said baseball and his dog. I  chose the baseball idea and purchased a few baseball themed fabrics and my quilter friend Cher gave me one from her stash. I machine thread painted "In Memory of Kelvin" in the turquiose rectangles. I found a package of baseball themed buttons which I thought were cute and added to the quilt. I hope the family enjoys it and they all want it so much that it is a success for the fundraiser!!! RIP Kelvin.  

1 comment:

  1. It is a great quilt and Thank you for making it. They put it in the silent aution but made the choice to give it to me as it was personalized and it ment more to me than it would of to anyone else.

    ReplyDelete